Thursday, November 01, 2007

Attention All Basketball Coaches

I've now learned that only man-to-man defense will be permitted in the second-grade basketball league. I'm all in favor of man-to-man, and I think it's great to teach kids to learn how to play proper defense.

Now, if you have any ideas for drills or plays for this group (other than having a quick kid dribble by everyone), please let me know. I have some ideas of my own, but it would be great if you could share your knowledge with me.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think all we ran when I was in grade school was the high post offense.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/2003/0212/1507738.html

You're probably already familiar with it, but that's what we ran. Have the center at the top of the key, let him screen the wings to get a man open. Works almost every time.

SportsProf said...

Thanks, Tim. We put that play in during the first practice, but we're not good enough to run it.

This is a recreational league, and everyone gets to play 2 quarters. Were there tryouts and cuts, we'd have probably 10 kids who have a high basketball IQ. But this is much less selective, and for many of the kids this is their first exposure to the game. As a result, we've tried dribble handoffs, and I might try a 1-4 stack in this practice.

Thanks again.