(Hopefully) good sports essays and observations for good sports by a guy who tries (and can sometimes fail) to be a good sport.


Not much to tell.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Attention All Basketball Coaches

I've now learned that only man-to-man defense will be permitted in the second-grade basketball league. I'm all in favor of man-to-man, and I think it's great to teach kids to learn how to play proper defense.

Now, if you have any ideas for drills or plays for this group (other than having a quick kid dribble by everyone), please let me know. I have some ideas of my own, but it would be great if you could share your knowledge with me.



Anonymous tim said...

I think all we ran when I was in grade school was the high post offense.

You're probably already familiar with it, but that's what we ran. Have the center at the top of the key, let him screen the wings to get a man open. Works almost every time.

7:14 PM  
Blogger SportsProf said...

Thanks, Tim. We put that play in during the first practice, but we're not good enough to run it.

This is a recreational league, and everyone gets to play 2 quarters. Were there tryouts and cuts, we'd have probably 10 kids who have a high basketball IQ. But this is much less selective, and for many of the kids this is their first exposure to the game. As a result, we've tried dribble handoffs, and I might try a 1-4 stack in this practice.

Thanks again.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home