Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The NBA: Bill Simmons is a Kindred Spirit

Read here and you'll see why.

Simmons has all sorts of suggestions for making the NBA more watchable, more efficient, more cost-effective for fans. He wonders aloud why the NBA hasn't thought of some of these things, and so do I. Of course, the big question is whether the owners need some protection from themselves. In any event, Simmons' basic premise is that when you're losing $400 million in a season, you're failing.

Read the whole thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A really good article.
I am a former NBA basketball fan, having followed the Sixers of the late 70’s/early 80s and the Bad Boys Pistons when I lived a short distance from the Palace at Auburn Hills.
Now I couldn’t care less about the league -- indifferent defense played by most teams, meaningless regular season games, zero entertainment value coming out of some of the best athletes on earth. Maybe I’d feel differently if I followed the Lakers, Celtics or Cavs (at least until the end of this season).
I like Simmons’ ideas about the playoffs. One thing the league could do is make the lottery odds the inverse – the top team that misses the playoffs gets the best odds of getting the number 1 pick. Or that’s what the end-of-season tournament he proposes could be for.
It’s a thoughtful article. I spent more time reading it than I have spent watching NBA basketball all season.
Good seeing you last Saturday, even though it was a bad result.
TIGOBLUE