Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Whatever Happened to King Kong Bundy?

I was new to the workforce, having graduated from graduate school. I returned to my hometown. Many friends had moved away, and, yes, it was a grueling job and I didn't have that much free time. So I occasionally peaked in at professional wrestling, if only because it was at the peak of its comic book-like heroics. My favorite tag team consisted of King Kong Bundy and Big John Studd, one of my favorites was Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, and there were the likes of Hulk Hogan, Brett "The Hitman" Hart, the manager Jimmy "The Weasel" Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper, the British Bulldogs, George "The Animal" Steele, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, Chief Jay Strongbow, Terrible Terry Funk, Andre the Giant and many others.

Bundy was about 6'6", weighed about 450 pounds, was bald as a cue ball, and he and Studd, well, they were better than any defensive tackles the Philadelphia Eagles had (I exaggerate, because pretty quickly thereafter the Birds did have Jerome Brown and Mike Golic!). He was huge.

So, where are you, King Kong Bundy, and what are you up to?

No comments: